A big part of WIC is to help babies have the best possible start in life. WIC moms are encouraged to breastfeed their babies. Pregnant women and new WIC moms get breastfeeding tips and help.
What do breastfeeding moms receive from WIC?
- More food benefits than mothers who are not breastfeeding
- Longer access to WIC benefits than non-breastfeeding moms
- One-on-one support from a Peer Counselor and Lactation Consultant (IBCLC)
- Beast pumps and other supplies as needed*
* WIC may be able to help you with a breast pump. WIC has a few different types of pumps available. Your WIC staff will determine which one is the best pump for your specific needs, without cost to you.
Breastfeeding Class Schedule:
The Allegany County WIC Program is committed to helping families have positive, successful breastfeeding experiences. To achieve that, we aspire to increase your confidence in nursing with basic breastfeeding skills and information. A support person is also encouraged to attend. Breastfeeding classes are held at the Western Maryland Regional Medical Center Auditorium (second floor, near the cafeteria) from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. Remaining 2018 dates are as follows:
Don't get discouraged! We're here to help!
- Main Office: (301) 759-5020
- Breastfeeding Coordinator: (301) 759-5023
- Peer Counselor : (301) 759-5022
- Please contact the WIC Main Office number for information on getting in touch with our Lactation Consultant.