The Board of Occupational Therapy Practice is accepting applications through December 10, 2021 for an Occupational Therapist.
Interested candidates should carefully review all membership criteria and the time commitment noted below before applying. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that all application documents and nomination materials are submitted by
December 10, 2021.
The criteria for members is outlined in the Board statute, Health Occupations §10-202 which can be found here: https://health.maryland.gov/botp/docs/comar/1-20.pdf. Terms are for four years. The applicant must be actively licensed, be in good standing with the Board and be a resident of Maryland. Applicants must also have been engaged in the following for at least 3 of the 5 years immediately prior to appointment:
- a) practicing occupational therapy or limited occupational therapy;
- b) teaching occupational therapy; or
- c) performing research in occupational therapy.
Board member duties:
- Attend monthly Board meetings which are held on the 3rd Friday of each month at the Board office located at 55 Wade Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21228 in the Tuerk Building, or via teleconference. The meeting includes a closed and a public (open) session. Members receive a stipend of $100 per meeting plus mileage. Members receive documents in advance of the meeting for review. There are attendance requirements in order to remain a board member.
- Members may serve on several committees. Committees include the Continuing Competency Requirement Committee, the Legislative Regulatory Review Committee, and Ad Hoc Committee(s). The committee meetings are held monthly, usually on the third Friday of every month before or after the start of regularly scheduled Board meetings. Additional meetings may be scheduled throughout the month as needed based on work volume. Meetings are sometimes scheduled via teleconference so familiarity with technology is helpful.
- Members participate in disciplinary hearing and case resolution conferences.
- Board members may be asked to testify before the General Assembly regarding legislation that affects consumers and/or licensees.
- Board members are subject to the State Ethics Law and are required to file an annual financial disclosure with the Maryland State Ethics Commission.
- Routinely fielding inquiries and correspondence from practitioners.
- Presenting at and/or attending annual meetings/conferences of various associations related to the practice of occupational therapy.
Please note that all applicants are thoroughly vetted and may be interviewed by a subject matter expert. The Governor appoints all board members with the advice of the Secretary of the Department of Health.
All interested applicants are required to submit a formal application through the Governor’s Appointments Office website at http://govappointments.maryland.gov/ no later than December 10, 2021.
Please be aware that one of the application documents, Appointee Exemption Disclosure (AED) form, is required by the Maryland State Ethics Commission (MSEC) to document any potential conflicts of interest. On the AED form, applicants should request an employment exemption for all current employment. Applicants that are self-employed, own or co-own a business should also request a financial exemption on the AED form.
If an applicant is serving in an official capacity with Board/Association, the applicant should list their role and note their willingness to resign immediately if appointed to the Health Occupation Board. Applicants may contact the MSEC at 410-260-7770 with questions or to request guidance.
Please note that the Board statute also requires that applicants be nominated by MOTA.
The nomination is due by December 15, 2021. Nominations may be submitted via e-mail or mail to:
Kim Bennardi, Administrator
Maryland Department of Health
Office of Appointments and Executive Nominations
201 W. Preston St. 5th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21201
Any additional questions regarding applications or nominations may be addressed to Kim Bennardi at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-767-4049.