Temporary License Application Instructions
If you have already begun the online application by creating a username and password during the registration process, click here to log in.
Who is eligible?
A temporary license may be issued only to an applicant pending the results of the next regularly scheduled national certification examination. The candidate must meet all other requirements for licensure and must provide specified documentation relative to exam eligibility.
Before You Begin:
- Download and complete the application form for a Criminal History Records Check (State and FBI). Bring this form with ou to be electronically fingerprinted. A copy of the Agency Privacy Requirements For Noncriminal Justice Applicants can be viewed here.
A list of available fingerprinting providers and cost can be found at www.dpscs.state.md.us/publicservs/fingerprint.shtml
- Upload receipt of verification of your application for a Criminal History Records Check.
- Download the Annotated Code of Maryland Health Occupations Article Title 10 (https://health.maryland.gov/botp/Pages/Legislation.aspx)
- Download the Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR 10.46.01-07) (https://health.maryland.gov/botp/Pages/Legislation.aspx)
- Gather your higher education information to include: namne, month and year of graduation, and type of degree earned.
- Upload verification from the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT)
or the occupational therapy Professional Examination Service (PES) of eligibility and
registration for the national certification examination (https://NBCOT.org)
- Upload verification from every state and/or country in which you are/were licensed
- Upload a passport-sized photo of yourself
- Obtain a valid MasterCard or Visa Credit Card for payment
- Connect to a printer to print your receipt
What is the time frame?
Temporary licenses are issued within 5 business days of application completion.
How do I Apply for a Temporary License?
To apply online:
- Complete the online application by registering here
- Successful completion of the Board's jurisprudence exam
- $200 application fee
What will happen to my temporary license if I do not take, or do not pass, the national exam?
Your temporary license will be voided.
You may apply for a second temporary license.
You are not licensed to practice in Maryland until you are issued a second temporary license.
How do I apply for a second temporary license?
Upload and amend your license application with verification from the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT)
or the occupational therapy Professional Examination Service (PES) of eligibility and registration for the national certification examination
$50 Second Temporary License Application fee
Visit the Frequently Asked Questions page, or contact the office at