• English

    Google Translate Disclaimer

    The Maryland Department of Information Technology (“DoIT”) offers translations of the content through Google Translate. Because Google Translate is an external website, DoIT does not control the quality or accuracy of translated content. All DoIT content is filtered through Google Translate which may result in unexpected and unpredictable degradation of portions of text, images and the general appearance on translated pages. Google Translate may maintain unique privacy and use policies. These policies are not controlled by DoIT and are not associated with DoIT’s privacy and use policies. After selecting a translation option, users will be notified that they are leaving DoIT’s website. Users should consult the original English content on DoIT’s website if there are any questions about the translated content.

    DoIT uses Google Translate to provide language translations of its content. Google Translate is a free, automated service that relies on data and technology to provide its translations. The Google Translate feature is provided for informational purposes only. Translations cannot be guaranteed as exact or without the inclusion of incorrect or inappropriate language. Google Translate is a third-party service and site users will be leaving DoIT to utilize translated content. As such, DoIT does not guarantee and does not accept responsibility for, the accuracy, reliability, or performance of this service nor the limitations provided by this service, such as the inability to translate specific files like PDFs and graphics (e.g. .jpgs, .gifs, etc.).

    DoIT provides Google Translate as an online tool for its users, but DoIT does not directly endorse the website or imply that it is the only solution available to users. All site visitors may choose to use alternate tools for their translation needs. Any individuals or parties that use DoIT content in translated form, whether by Google Translate or by any other translation services, do so at their own risk. DoIT is not liable for any loss or damages arising out of, or issues related to, the use of or reliance on translated content. DoIT assumes no liability for any site visitor’s activities in connection with use of the Google Translate functionality or content.

    The Google Translate service is a means by which DoIT offers translations of content and is meant solely for the convenience of non-English speaking users of the website. The translated content is provided directly and dynamically by Google; DoIT has no direct control over the translated content as it appears using this tool. Therefore, in all contexts, the English content, as directly provided by DoIT is to be held authoritative.

    Consumer Health & Safety

    ​​Flam​e Retardant Chemicals

    Maryland state statue prohibits the import or sale of child and juvenile products containing certain flame-retardant chemicals. See Health-General §24-306§24-306.1, and COMAR 10.19.07. To submit a complaint related to a possible violation of this law, please email mdh.envhealth@maryland.gov.

    Sew​​a​ge Overflow

    MDE maintains the Maryland Reported Sewer Overflow Database, which includes all public sewer overflow events reported to MDE as required by Environment Article §9–331.1.

    Bisphenol-A (B​PA)

    Maryland state statute prohibits the manufacture, sale, or distribution of a child care article containing bisphenol-A (BPA)). See Health-General §24-304​ and COMAR 10.19.01 for more information.

    Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PF​​AS)

    PFAS – short for per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances – refers to a large group of more than 4,000 human-made chemicals that have been used since the 1940s in a range of products, including stain- and water-resistant fabrics and carpeting, cleaning products, paints, cookware, food packaging and fire-fighting foams. ​​Most people have been exposed to PFAS because of their use in so many common consumer goods. There is evidence that exposure to certain PFAS may lead to adverse health effects in humans.

    Click here​ to learn more about what the Maryland Department of the Environment is doing about PFAS.

    Products Containing Volatile ​Organic Compounds (VOCs)

    ​​Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are emitted as gases from many household products, including paints and lacquers, paint strippers, cleaning supplies, pesticides, building materials and furnishings, office equipment such as copiers and printers, glues and adhesives, and permanent markers.​​ Learn more from the EPA about how VOCs can negatively affect indoor air quality.


    Pesicides in Maryland are regulated by the Maryland Department of Agriculture .Health care providers are required to report pesticide illnesses and exposures to the Department of Health. ​​

    ​Indoor T​anning

    ​An owner, employee, or operator of a tanning facility may not allow a minor under the age of 18 years to use a tanning device. For more information, see Health-General §20–106 and COMAR 10.52.06.

    Tattooing and Body Piercing

    ​Maryland Department of Health does not license tattoo and body piercing businesses. There are, however, disease control and signage regulations applicable to skin-penetrating body adornment procedures in the Code of Maryland Regulations, which you can view at:


    There are also rules on the disposal of sharp waste objects under regulations of both the Department of Health and the Department of the Environment. 

    Some local jurisdictions regulate tattoo and body piercing under local ordinance (this list may not be complete or up to date, so check with the local health department to be sure):