• English

    Google Translate Disclaimer

    The Maryland Department of Information Technology (“DoIT”) offers translations of the content through Google Translate. Because Google Translate is an external website, DoIT does not control the quality or accuracy of translated content. All DoIT content is filtered through Google Translate which may result in unexpected and unpredictable degradation of portions of text, images and the general appearance on translated pages. Google Translate may maintain unique privacy and use policies. These policies are not controlled by DoIT and are not associated with DoIT’s privacy and use policies. After selecting a translation option, users will be notified that they are leaving DoIT’s website. Users should consult the original English content on DoIT’s website if there are any questions about the translated content.

    DoIT uses Google Translate to provide language translations of its content. Google Translate is a free, automated service that relies on data and technology to provide its translations. The Google Translate feature is provided for informational purposes only. Translations cannot be guaranteed as exact or without the inclusion of incorrect or inappropriate language. Google Translate is a third-party service and site users will be leaving DoIT to utilize translated content. As such, DoIT does not guarantee and does not accept responsibility for, the accuracy, reliability, or performance of this service nor the limitations provided by this service, such as the inability to translate specific files like PDFs and graphics (e.g. .jpgs, .gifs, etc.).

    DoIT provides Google Translate as an online tool for its users, but DoIT does not directly endorse the website or imply that it is the only solution available to users. All site visitors may choose to use alternate tools for their translation needs. Any individuals or parties that use DoIT content in translated form, whether by Google Translate or by any other translation services, do so at their own risk. DoIT is not liable for any loss or damages arising out of, or issues related to, the use of or reliance on translated content. DoIT assumes no liability for any site visitor’s activities in connection with use of the Google Translate functionality or content.

    The Google Translate service is a means by which DoIT offers translations of content and is meant solely for the convenience of non-English speaking users of the website. The translated content is provided directly and dynamically by Google; DoIT has no direct control over the translated content as it appears using this tool. Therefore, in all contexts, the English content, as directly provided by DoIT is to be held authoritative.


    Maryland Cottage Food Businesses


    A cottage food business (or a home-based business) is defined in the Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) 10.15.0​3​ as a business that a) produces or packages cottage food products in a residential kitchen; and b) has annual revenues from the sale of cottage food products in an amount not exceeding $25,000. 

    What is a cottage food product?

    A cottage food product is a non-potentially hazardous food that is sold in Maryland directly to a consumer from a residence, at a farmers market, at a public event, by personal delivery, or by mail delivery; or directly to a retail food store.​ Cottage foods cannot be offered for sale through interstate commerce.​ 
    • ​Non-potentially hazardous/non-perishable baked goods, such as bagels, pastries, brownies, cookies, breads, cakes, pies, sourdough breads, etc. made without potentially hazardous toppings or fillings;
    • Hot filled high-acid fruit jams, jellies, preserves, and butters made only with fruits with a natural pH of 4.6 pH or less;​
    • Hard candy;
    • Chocolate confections made from commercially manufactured chocolate (e.g., chocolate covered pretzels); 
    • Repackaged commercial ingredients (such as tea blends, spice/seasoning blends);​​
    • Snack mixes from commercial sources (such as cereal, granola, and trail mixes);
    • Non-potentially hazardous snacks (such as popcorn balls, kettle corn, popcorn, and nuts);
    • Whole roasted coffee beans
    • Potentially hazardous foods that require any type of refrigeration (e.g., raw or cooked fish/animal products, cooked vegetables, baked goods containing fruit with a natural pH above 4.6, garlic in oil mixtures, cheesecakes, pumpkin pies, custard pies, cream pies, etc.);
    • Beverages of any kind;
    • Chocolate covered fresh fruits or chocolates made from raw cocoa beans or potentially hazardous ingredients;
    • Dehydrating (or drying) fruits, herbs and vegetables;
    • Fermented foods, acidified foods, or low acid canned foods;
    • Flavored or ground coffee;
    • Nut butters and seed butters;
    • Pasta - dehydrating or fresh;
    • Raw dough and energy balls;
    • Raw seed sprouts;
    • Soft candies (such as home-made caramel and fudge);
    • Sugar free products (such as jams, jellies, preserves, fruit butters, and marmalades);
    • S​yrups

    For more information on icings and frostings, click here or see the MDH Cottage Food Businesses FAQs

    Do I need a license to sell cottage foods?

    No. By law, the owner of a cottage food business may sell only cottage food products made in their home kitchen and stored on the premises of the business without needing a food license. If other non-cottage food items or potentially-hazardous items are offered or made, a food license is required, and all food production and storage would need to occur in a commercial kitchen. ​
    All cottage food must be prepackaged at the cottage food business and labeled with the following:
    • The name and address* of the business where the food is made. Listing a P.O. BOX address is not permissible.  *Note: A cottage food business may request a Department-issued unique identification number for use in place of the home address. 
    • The name of the cottage food product, the ingredients (and sub-ingredients) in descending order of the amount of each ingredient by weight, and the net weight/volume of the cottage food product.
    • Allergen information as specified by federal labeling requirements; “Major food allergen” includes: milk; egg; fish such as bass, flounder, or cod; crustacea such as crab, lobster, or shrimp; tree nuts such as almonds, pecans, or walnuts; wheat; peanuts; soybeans; and any food ingredient that contains proteins derived from milk, egg, fish, crustacea, tree nuts, wheat, peanuts, or soybeans. 
    • Nutritional information as specified by federal labeling requirements, if any nutritional information claim is made about product.
    • A printed statement in 10 point type or larger, in a color that provides a clear contrast to the background of the label: “Made by a cottage food business that is not subject to Maryland's food safety regulations.”
      • The phone number and e–mail address of the cottage food business; and

      • The date the product was made.

    To view example labels, see the MDH Cottage Food Business Labeling Guide. ​

    How can I request a unique identification number?

    A cottage food business may request from the Maryland Department of Health a unique identification number that may be used on the label of a cottage food product. If a business chooses to request and use a unique identification number on the cottage food product label as an alternative to a business address, the label must include the identification number and the name and phone number of the cottage food business.
    To request a unique identification number and/or to sell your cottage food products to a retail food store, complete the Cottage Food Business Request form.
    If your cottage food business has received a compliance letter for retail sales, please contact our office at mdh.foodplanreview@maryland.gov to request a unique identification number.

    Where can cottage foods be sold?

    Cottage food products can be sold in the State directly to a consumer from the cottage food business residence, at a farmer's market, at a public event, by personal delivery, by mail delivery, or to a retail food store*.
    Interstate cottage food product sales, or sales outside of Maryland, are prohibited. All sales, including online sales, are restricted to Maryland. 
    *Cottage foods sold to a retail food store must meet certain criteria, including additional labeling requirements, and review by the Maryland Department of Health. If you are a cottage food business​ and want to sell your product(s) to a retail store, please complete the Cottage Food Business Request form​. Proof of the completion of an approved food safety course is required. 
    We recommend reviewing the Cottage Food Business Checklist prior to submitting a request to sell your product to a retail food store. This will ensure that you have all the information needed to complete the process and will minimize delays in your review.​
    A 'retail food store' means a licensed food service facility that sells prepackaged food items either fresh, refrigerated, frozen, or shelf-stable.
    A retail food store includes a grocery store, convenience store, retail market, retail bakery, or food cooperative where, in general, food is sold in its original packaging. 

    A retail food store does NOT include a restaurant, mobile food service facility, coffee shop, cafeteria, short order café, luncheonette, tavern sandwich shop, produce stand that only offers whole, uncut fresh fruits and vegetables, or establishment that offers only pre-packaged non-potentially hazardous food.  

    Can I offer samples of my product?

    ​Yes. Cottage foods may be sampled as long as your product is a non-potentially hazardous food. Samples must be pre-packaged in the home kitchen.

    Are there additional local laws and requirements that I must follow?

    By law, cottage food businesses must comply with all applicable county and municipal laws and ordinances regulating the preparation, processing, storage, and sale of cottage food products. ​You should contact your local permits and licensing department to inquire about specific requirements.

    I want to sell items not included on the allowable foods list. What can I do?

    Foods not allowed to be made under the cottage food laws must be made in a commercial kitchen with a local health department retail food license or a State food processing license. 

    NOTE:   For more information contact either your local health department​ or the Maryland Department of Health at 410-767-8400 or email us at

    ​Updated 10/15/2021