Maryland Register

Issue Date:  September 14, 2018

Volume 45 • Issue 19 • Pages 876—877


Title 10 


10.09.48 Targeted Case Management for People with Developmental Disabilities

Authority: Health-General Article, §§2-104(b), 15-103, and 15-105, Annotated Code of Maryland

Notice of Proposed Action


     The Secretary of Health proposes to amend Regulation .08 under COMAR 10.09.48 Targeted Case Management for People with Developmental Disabilities.

Statement of Purpose

The purpose of this action is to implement a 3.5 percent cost of living allowance for targeted case management providers in accordance with Health General Article, §7-307(d), Annotated Code of Maryland.

Comparison to Federal Standards

There is no corresponding federal standard to this proposed action.


Estimate of Economic Impact

I. Summary of Economic Impact. The proposed action includes a 3.5% COLA for targeted case management providers. The total impact of this increase for the agency and the regulated industry equals $1,869,948.



Revenue (R+/R-)


II. Types of Economic Impact.






A. On issuing agency:



B. On other State agencies:


C. On local governments:




Benefit (+)
Cost (-)




D. On regulated industries or trade groups:



E. On other industries or trade groups:


F. Direct and indirect effects on public:


III. Assumptions. (Identified by Impact Letter and Number from Section II.)

A. The impact on MDH assumes a 3.5 percent increase over the current published rate of $18.61 per unit, or $0.6514. The increase brings the published rate to $19.26 for FY 2019. The total impact calculation is based on the total of 2,870,880 units of service provided by targeted case management providers in FY 2018. 55 percent of the total cost ($1,014,447) is paid with General Funds; the remaining 45 percent ($855,501) is paid with federal funds.

D. As a result of increasing the per unit rate for Targeted Case Management Services, providers will receive increased payments, totaling $1,869,948 in FY 2019.

Economic Impact on Small Businesses

The proposed action has a meaningful economic impact on small business. An analysis of this economic impact follows.

The proposed action has a meaningful economic impact on small businesses because the higher reimbursement rates infuse dollars into targeted case management entities that provide these services in the community.

Impact on Individuals with Disabilities

The proposed action has no impact on individuals with disabilities.

Opportunity for Public Comment

Comments may be sent to Michele Phinney, Director, Office of Regulation and Policy Coordination, Maryland Department of Health, 201 W. Preston Street, Room 512, Baltimore, MD 21201, or call 410-767-6499 (TTY 800-735-2258), or email to, or fax to 410-767-6483. Comments will be accepted through October 15, 2018. A public hearing has not been scheduled.

.08 Payment Procedures.

A. (text unchanged)

B. Payment Rates.

(1)—(2) (text unchanged)

(3) For all other services, providers shall be reimbursed:

(a)—(e) (text unchanged)

(f) $17.99 per unit of service from July 1, 2016 through June 30, 2017; [and]

(g) $18.61 per unit of service [thereafter] from July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2018; and

(h) $19.26 per unit of service thereafter.

C.—E. (text unchanged)

Secretary of Health