To manage with care and dignity the decedent affairs of all who have donated themselves to the Maryland State Anatomy Board and from this selfless act of generosity provide member medical schools and other public health education programs unparalleled resources to teach theory and techniques that promote medical-dental education, improve clinical-surgical practices, positively impact research and improve public health for generations to come.
HISTORY OF THE STATE ANATOMY BOARD.
Prior to 1900, the faculty and staff of both Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and the University of Maryland School of Medicine worked together to meet the requirements of city and county ordinances, which directed unclaimed bodies to the medical schools for care and educational purposes. This collaboration is the earliest evidence of what today is the State Anatomy Board.
Eduard Carl Adolf Uhlenhuth, 1885-1961. Professor of Anatomy, University of Maryland, School of Medicine.
In the 1930s, under the authority of Dean Ulenhouth (pictured), the donor program was moved to the University of Maryland School of Medicine. Later, in 1947, by an act of the General Assembly of the State of Maryland, the State Anatomy Board was created. At the time, it consisted of the University of Maryland School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, and the University of Maryland School of Dentistry working in partnership with the State of Maryland.
In the early 1960s, the Maryland Anatomical Gift Act was passed, which formed the basis of the Uniform Anatomic Gift Act that was adopted by most states. In 1975, the State Anatomy Board moved to its current location within the University of Maryland School of Medicine and law was changed to include the Uniformed Services University Health Sciences School of Medicine as a member of the Board.