License Massage Therapist (LMT) & Registered Massage Practitioners (RMP)
PAYMENTS MUST BE MADE PAYABLE TO:
MD BOARD OF MASSAGE THERAPY
* Certified Check or Money Order. No cash will be accepted.
NOTE: All applicants must pass the examination offered by the FSMTB, NCBTMB, or the NCCAOM – before applying and registering for the Maryland Jurisprudence Examination. Copies of your transcript(s), national score report, provider level CPR and First Aid for the workplace must be submitted with your application. At the time you are notified in writing that your application is completed and approved. With an admit letter, you have been scheduled for the Maryland State Jurisprudence Examination.
(National Examination and the Maryland Jurisprudence Examination)
You must pass a national examination and the Maryland Jurisprudence examination before any license or registration can be issued to you. All applicants must either pass the FSMTB (Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards), NCBTMB (National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork) or the NCCAOM (National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine) examination before applying and registering for the Maryland Jurisprudence Examination. Copies of your transcript(s), national score report, CPR certification, Criminal History Records Check (fingerprint) receipt must be submitted with your application.
You will be scheduled for the Maryland State Jurisprudence Examination upon receipt of your:
- official national score report sent directly to the Board
- official school transcript(s) sent by the school(s) directly to the Board
- cleared criminal history record report, and
- verification of good standing from out of state licensing Boards sent directly to the Board.
The official national score report and the requested official sealed transcript(s) must be contained in your Board file before any license or registration can be issued to you.
Applicants must personally arrange with their school(s) to have certified, sealed copies of official transcripts submitted by the school(s) directly to the Board. The transcript(s) must document a minimum of 600-hours in an accredited massage therapy education program as defined in the Laws and Regulations for LMTs & RMPs.
Foreign Transcripts: Students who attended foreign schools are advised that it is solely their responsibility to ensure that all transcripts are in a format acceptable to the Board. Transcripts from foreign schools must be independently reviewed and investigated at the expense of the applicant. For more information (see Notice to Applicants Who Attended Foreign Schools. Such transcripts must also have an original English translation from an accredited member of the American Translators Association or the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Only original transcripts and translations are acceptable. Copies or certified copies will not be accepted
Notice to Applicants Who Attended Foreign Schools
Transcripts will only be accepted from massage schools that are approved or accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the United States Department of Education (USDE). Refer to the Board's Massage website for a list of USDE accrediting agencies.
Additionally, schools located outside of the United States must undergo a strict comprehensive review and scrutiny through a professional, private contract commission. The Board-approved commissions to determine the eligibility and competency of such school(s) is listed in the chart at the bottom of this page.
In many instances, fraudulent information has been detected in applications, particularly from transcripts purportedly derived from foreign schools and institutions. Accordingly, the following procedures apply to any foreign school:
- No action will be taken on the application until the Board receives a full report from one of the Board-approved commissions. Applicants are advised that such reviews take several weeks to several months to complete.
- Applicants are advised that the Board will not process the application further until a full favorable report is submitted by the authorized agency. The Board retains the discretion to approve or reject any application upon review of the report and documentation.
- All foreign transcripts, letters and documents must be presented to the contract investigating company in original form and must also have an original English translation from an accredited member of the American Translators Association. No other translations are acceptable. The applicant bears all costs of any translations or certifications.
- Applicants who attended foreign schools are advised that very few foreign schools or institutions have qualified as meeting Maryland’s standards. Accordingly, applicants should seriously consider and weigh the costs of this comprehensive review and fees with the probable chances of non-acceptance of the foreign school.
- Affected applicants are advised that acceptance of an application and non-refundable fees does not in any manner insure, promise or guarantee that the application will be approved, and certification or registration will be granted.
- The Board does not interface with the credential evaluation agency.
- Applicants are solely responsible to make all arrangements with agencies for evaluation of transcripts/academic records, including payment of any applicable fees. Applicants may contact:
International Commission on Healthcare Professionals (ICHP)
3600 Market Street, Suite 400
Philadelphia, PA 19104-2651
USA +1 (215) 222 – 8454
ADDITIONAL CREDENTIAL EVALUATION AGENCIES
A2Z Evaluations, LLC
A2Z Evaluations, LLC
216 F Street, #29
Davis, CA 95616
Academic Evaluation Services, Inc.
8875 Hidden River Parkway, Suite 110
Tampa, FL 33637
Center for Applied Research, Evaluation and Education, Inc.
P.O. Box 18358
Anaheim, CA 92817
Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
101 W. Pleasant St., Suite 200
Milwaukee, WI 53212-3963
Educational Perspectives, nfp
PO Box A3462
Chicago, IL 60690-3462
Educational Records Evaluation Service, Inc.
2480 Hilborn Rd, Suite 106
Fairfield, CA 94534
Evaluation Service, Inc.
333 W. North Avenue, #284
Chicago, IL 60610
Foreign Academic Credential Service, Inc.
105 West Vandalia Street, Suite 120
Edwardsville, IL 62025
Foundation for International Services, Inc.
505 – 5th Avenue South, Suite 101
Edmonds, WA 98020
Global Credential Evaluators, Inc.
3515-B Longmire Drive PMB 323
College Station, TX 77845
Global Services Associates, Inc.
409 North Pacific Coast Highway, #393
Redondo Beach, CA 90277, USA
Telephone & Fax: +1-310-828-5709
International Academic Credential Evaluators, Inc.
PO Box 2465
Denton, TX 76202-2465
International Consultants of Delaware, Inc.
3600 Market Street, Suite 450
Philadelphia, PA 19104-2651
International Education Evaluations, Inc.
Member since May 2018
International Education Research Foundation, Inc.
Post Office Box 3665
Culver City, CA 90231-3665
Josef Silny and Associates, Inc. International Education Consultants
7101 SW 102 Avenue
Miami, FL 33173
SpanTran: The Evaluation Company
450 Seventh Avenue, Suite 804
New York, NY 10123
9540 Garland Road
Suite 381, Box 383,
Dallas, TX 75218
World Education Services, Inc.
P. O. Box 5087
Bowling Green Station
New York, NY 10274-5087
World Educational Credential Evaluators
P. O. Box 341468
Tampa, Florida 33694 – 1468
Telephone: (813) 962-6506